Monday, December 31, 2007

Top 15 in '07 Part XIV - Pop Music

This was a great year for Pop Music releases in my opinion. There were albums I knew would be good, ones that surprised me and newer discoveries from around the world.


The Sure Bets




Backstreet Boys - "Unbreakable". Their lead single "Inconsolable" quickly went up my Top 25 Most Played this Summer and I knew good things were coming for their new release. The Boys brought it again, keeping with what made their last album a success, more adult-friendly but still keeping a toe in middle of the road pop. Standouts: "Everything But Mine", "Inconsolable", "Something That I Already Know", "Helpless When She Smiles".





Kelly Clarkson - "My December". Kelly herself probably wouldn't want to hear that she's on the list as one of the best Pop releases of the year but she'll just have to deal. I wouldn't go so far to say that I was disappointed with her newest, but I also am not obsessed with it. I respect what she did to get this record out there; she famously went head to head with Clive Davis to get this album out there the way she wanted it to and that's very honorable. There are some really really good songs on here that I think if radio gave them a chance she'd have another hit record on her hands, but it seems that won't be happening. Check out "Hole", "Judas", "Sober", "Haunted", "Maybe" and "How I Feel".





Timbaland - "Presents: Shock Value". Everyone knows he produces great songs, they're all over the charts, and they always lean towards urban pop, so I knew I'd like at least a few of the songs off his solo debut. I knew "Way I Are" would be huge the minute I heard it, and who can deny "Apologize" is just great?


More sure bets (some previously mentioned): Katharine McPhee, Carrie Underwood's "Carnival Ride", Rooney's "Calling the World", The Click Five "Modern Minds and Pastimes", Rascal Flatts "Still Feels Good", Leona Lewis "Spirit", Maroon 5 "It Won't Be Soon Before Long"


Surprises


I'm going to spare everyone and not post a picture with this next entry, it's hard for me to even type this, but Britney Spears' "Blackout" was a surprise pop music release for me this year. With trepidation I listened to what was sure to be a disaster, it had to be right?! But somewhere amidst all the craziness Britney managed to get into a studio and do at least one thing right in her life. Britney of course does not deserve any amount of credit for this album, it's very obvious that the production team is the true star of this release. It's the beats and production value that truly shine on "Blackout", Britney's just kind of there providing another instrument (if you can call her voice that). Key tracks "Piece of Me", "Radar", "Break The Ice", "Ooh Ooh Baby".





Jordin Sparks - I was never a Jordin fan during last season of AI, but I was curious to see what type of album she would put out and I was pleasantly surprised. Her debut is not bubble gum, but it's as close as you will probably get in the US without being part of the Disney Channel. She does a stellar duet with Chris Brown on "No Air" and her ok-on-tv-voice actually sounds good on standouts "One Step At A Time", "Freeze" and "Permanent Monday". She still has that weird vibratto but it's more controlled and isn't given the chance to really come out much. Too bad her labels not really promoting this one, it has a lot of potential.





Rihanna - "Good Girl Gone Bad". Rihanna's alway had been just ok in my opinion, "S.O.S." and "Unfaithful" were the only songs of hers that ever made me stop and listen. However she took it to a whole other level when she released this, her third album this past summer. There was the ubiquitous "Umbrella" which was a grower for me, but with songs like "Breakin' Dishes", "Don't Stop the Music", "Shut Up And Drive", "Hate That I Love You", plus the title track, this was like hit after hit! She just hit the nail on the head, it's the perfect combination of snarly hip pop for the US market, but straight up dancey pop for the Euro markets which equals perfection for me!


Surprise Honorable Mentions: Aly & AJ "Insomniatic", Hilary Duff "Dignity".


Discoveries


Mans Zelmerlow "Stand By For" - was a finalist in Sweden Idol in 2005, I'm currently listening to this album like crazy.


Jon McLaughlin "Indiana" - heard his single "Beautiful Disaster" randomly, then found the promo version of his entire cd at Rasputin for $1.99 and the rest is history.


Matt Wertz "Everything In Between" - technically released in 2006 but Brandie and I enjoyed this CD a lot this year.


Jonathan Fagerlund "Angeline"


Linda Kiraly "Can't Let Go"


The Hairspray Soundtrack - So many great songs, the writer's are brilliant.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I watch a lot of TV. I listen to a lot of music. I read a lot of magazines/books. I like to write about them all.