Saturday, December 29, 2007

Top 15 in '07 Part VII - Brooke Fraser




This year brought a great discovery in music, her name is Brooke Fraser. I've talked about our concert-going experience here previously but I can't not mention her as one of the top 15 most entertaining of the year.


Here's the story. My friend Chris who lives in L.A. told me about this producer Marshall Altman, he produced Marc Broussard's "Momentary Setback" (which I loved) among other albums for up and comers. Chris said that Marshall produced this girl Brooke Fraser and he was loving it, so he burned me a copy of her CD "Albertine". He said she's from New Zealand, she's big there, etc. I thought nothing of it until months later when I decided to take a listen and things changed forever.


I immediately thought of Brandie because I could just TELL this is the kind of music she would love. And love she did. To be completely honest, Brandie was quicker to embrace Brooke than I was; yes, I really liked her CD, but Brandie took it hostage and listened to it in her car long enough to learn all the words before I did!


Upon doing more research I found and downloaded Brooke's first CD "What To Do With Daylight", which is different, but good in and of itself. Then of course came the YouTube search which resulted in numerous videos and live performances which were of course amazing. We were in musical love.


Then (thanks to Wikipedia!) I found out that Brooke's been a part of the Hillsong group, and has written and performed songs with them. Which lead to the discovery of "Hosanna" and "Lead Me To The Cross", two AMAZINGLY beautiful worship songs that Brooke wrote which appeared on the "All Of The Above" Hillsong United album.


Chris was able to meet up with us when we saw her in L.A. and it had all come full circle. At the concert we were finally able to purchase her "Albertine" album legitimately, it wasn't out in the US anywhere ($30 online? no thanks)! It would have been awesome to meet her and have her sign our CD that night, but that wasn't to be. Brooke's music has made a serious impact on me and Brandie, I hope more people get to hear her in the future. More new music in '08 Brooke, please!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww she and jeremy shum are cute!

About Me

My photo
I watch a lot of TV. I listen to a lot of music. I read a lot of magazines/books. I like to write about them all.