Saturday, December 29, 2007

Top 15 in '07 Part VIII - Bands

My brother Sean and I were talking a while ago about how bands aren't big anymore, and while I still agree with this statement it doesn't mean that there aren't bands out there that I don't like.





The most anticipated band release of the year for me was Maroon 5's "It Won't Be Soon Before Long". I've been waiting for a long time for a new M5 record, almost long enough for me not to care anymore, but this album is a good 2nd release for the band. "Makes Me Wonder" was on repeat on my phone all summer long and "Wake Up Call" has a great sing along chorus. If I'm being honest I can't name off anymore tracks by name, BUT it's still a great summer road trip album to listen loudly to.





Another band that was WAY overdue for a follow-up was Rooney. Everyone knows them for their OC hype a few years ago, but Sean introduced me to them long before then. Their first album was Beach Boys-esque, summery, fun, pop-rock fun, their second album "Calling the World" which came out back in July is more synth-rock oriented while keeping the fun atmosphere of their debut. Listen to: "When Did Your Heart Go Missing?"




While Maroon 5 was the most anticipated release of '07, The Click Five's "Modern Minds and Pasttimes" turned out to be my favorite band album of the year.

I'd heard a while before the album came out that TC5's previous lead singer left the group, which was a MAJOR downgrade in my opinion, it was his high-pitched pop-perfect voice that drew me to them in the first place! However, I believed in them enough still to be on board with their new album. Even though the result is different than their debut, I found myself constantly listening to this album....really really loudly.


This album succeeds in a different way than their first did. "Modern Minds" is more rock oriented with a TON of 80's pop influence as opposed to straight up bubble gum rock of their first. PLUS the new lead singer's deeper voice lends itself really well to the overall feel of the album. "When I'm Gone" and "Headlight Disco" land at #'s 12 and 22 on my top 25 most played on iTunes repsectively, but lead single "Jenny" and "Addicted to Me" are also favorites.


The Others...


Jimmy Eat World's "Chase This Light" has so far failed to catch my attention...maybe '08 will bring more Jimmy love...


Same thing goes for Saves the Day's "Under the Boards", come on guys!


Rilo Kiley finally catered to my alt-pop needs with "Under the Blacklight"

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I watch a lot of TV. I listen to a lot of music. I read a lot of magazines/books. I like to write about them all.