Thursday, February 01, 2007

TV

Oh TV, why do I love you so much? Probably because you don't disappoint me as much as movies do. Or because I can watch you in the privacy of my own home. Or because you consistently are awesome. It's pretty much only the last one. Here's the breakdown on my favorite shows currently on TV.



Back in late high school, early college Brandie would always tell me about this show, and try as I might to avoid it, it eventually sucked me in. There were a few years there when I avoided telling others that I watched Gilmore Girls. Those times are long gone because this show is one of the most consistently funny and touching shows I have ever seen. The writing is brilliant; fast paced, laced with pop culture references, overall it's just smart. However, this season, its 7th, has not been as good as it once was. Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino left the show last season, and it is really evident. Season 7 has become all that Gilmore Girls has tried not to be: cliche, "romantic", and generically funny. There is hope though, the first 2 episodes of the 2nd half of this season are showing signs that the writers and producers might be realizing how they've been getting it wrong the first half of the season. So Brandie and I continue to watch and hope that this show stays on our viewing schedule. Tuesday nights at 8pm on the CW (I know, conflicts with American Idol....thank you DVR)



Lost is the show that made me realize that television can be a greater medium that movies. This show is more cinematic than a lot of movies I have seen. It is well written, shot, acted, everything. I almost forget that this is a TV show, because when I watch it, it's a whole different experience. This show is not just about castaways on a deserted island, it's so much more. Much more than I can even start to explain. Here's what you need to do if you haven't seen this show: get your hands on the first and second seasons on DVD and watch them all. I promise you it won't take as long as you think it might. You can eat and shower later, just watch this show. Plus, you'll be able to get a lot more answers at one time than the rest of us did when we watched them when they aired....there were full weeks in between those episodes! Sometimes months! This show comes back from it's hiatus (way back in November!) on February 7th on abc at 10pm (to avoid the American Idol juggernaut), so catch up and watch.


More TV posts tomorrow....

2 comments:

gene pensiero said...

--
i have never seen an episode of Lost, so i will admit that my argument is from ignorance, but i did know some DIE HARD fans of season one who told me that as they watched season two they realized that the writers had no idea what they were going to do with the show and that the viewers were just getting strung along week after week with a soap-opera-like inpossibility to ever see a climax/resolution of the plight of the lost kids. plus it reminds me of survivor and reality tv makes me want to die. die right after making all the reality tv executive producers die first. thus i forever swore off lost.

of course, this is coming from someone who watches the office and fully accepts that there is no solution to the jim/pam dilemma. i mean...why do we watch??? because we think we want them together...rather, we want the struggle, not the resolution.

which, for me, is why 24 is the superior television canvas. each season has a clear plot, a clear reconciliation of issues and a clear end. not to mention the gut-wrenching viscer...ality...viscerality that is provided week in and week out.

i mean, i haven't watched DAY 6 of jack bauer's aweful life but i heard he murdered a guy with his mouth this year. YES! (and in the coliseum the crowd cries KILL HIM!)

as always i look forward to more posts.

Jason said...

the producers have always said they have an answer and an end to Lost. they're also in talks with abc right now to have an ending season in sight, because people will stop watching. i however, will not; it's brilliant tv, give it a chance, just like I'm gonna give 24 one! i think i'm more excited about watching 24 than you would be about lost though...such is life

thanks for the comment!

About Me

My photo
I watch a lot of TV. I listen to a lot of music. I read a lot of magazines/books. I like to write about them all.