Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Katharine McPhee



The day has come. Katharine's debut album is now in stores, and I of course got my copy. I downloaded this album when it leaked about a week and a half ago, and I think it's a really strong debut. Detractors may say that her voice isn't being utilized to its fullest extent, but I think this first album was a smart move on her part. The American music scene is very fickle, and Katherine is already last years Idol news. From the racy cover to the hip-pop flavor of her uptempos and good mix of mid-tempo R&B ballads with adult contempo piano tracks thrown in, there is a little bit for everyone, and for someone who likes a little of everything (like me) this album is very enjoyable. I find that when I like a certain performer (for whatever reason, their voice, personality, looks, performances, etc) I am more inclined to like whatever they release and can't separate myself, take a step back, and really critically listen. However, in this case, McPhee's got the goods to propel this album as one of the top U.S. Pop releases of the year (until Kelly Clarkson OWNS her on her next release slated for later in the year). Her next single should definitely be "Open Toes" if she wants to keep the momentum going; it's a cheesy song about shoes, but who cares right? Fergie's Fergalicious, Gwen's Windin' it Up, at least Katherine's singing the whole time on this track. Another single should be "Each Other"....yeah it's a "We Belong Together" redo, but it's one of those boring R&B ballads that will work for urban radio. Then she can step into the adult contemp territory by having her 3rd single be either "Home" or "Ordinary World". These two songs cater to all those who thought Katherine should be the next Celine Dion. Her vocals are nicely present in these tracks (when they can get lost in other songs), and the melody's are predictable, yet unique enough to stand out. Go get this album, it's my first recommended release of the new year.

1 comment:

gene pensiero said...

--
yay new posts. boo katharine looking like a hooker on the cover of her cd...and not a classy hooker either.

i'm glad that clive owen didn't copy this pose for the poster for Children Of Men...good night!

great post. and you're right...miss clarkson will demolish every other release ever (i hope).

About Me

My photo
I watch a lot of TV. I listen to a lot of music. I read a lot of magazines/books. I like to write about them all.