Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Children Of Men




I've been meaning to write about this movie since I've seen it, but it's almost taken me this must time just to get through it in my head. It takes place 20 years in the future, and the world has not seen a newborn baby in almost 18 years. Every single country is destitute except for Great Britain, where deportation of illegal immigrants has become big business. The whole film is really stark and futuristic while staying frighteningly realistic . The whole film rests on Clive Owen getting a young woman who is miraculously pregnant out of the country, to the Human Project, a place where new life thrives allegedly (no one knows if it truly exists). All that to say that I still don't really know if I "liked" the movie. Will I ever see it again? Probably not. Was it badly made? Definitely not. Julianne Moore and Michael Caine put in great performances. The cinematography puts you right in the middle of everything, and so much of it looks like real War footage. This film is jarring to say the least, and scary not in the conventional way. I walked out not so much with the feeling of hope (intentional?), but more a feeling of dread. Great filmmaking, not so great watch-on-a-rainy-day-depressed-type movie.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I watch a lot of TV. I listen to a lot of music. I read a lot of magazines/books. I like to write about them all.